The Strategy of the Ultimatum
One potential strategy might be to use an ultimatum but at what cost!
Will they be tempted to use ‘ultimatums’ to help close their negotiations?
Or will they use a ‘hypothetical ultimatum’ that still has room to move?
Tips on how to make an ultimatum
If you believe you must use this tactic (maybe as a closing final offer), then some pointers include:
- Be completely sure you have exhausted all other options
- In particular, consider both the immediate and the longer-term outcome implications – including how the other party will respond, as well as the probable consequences for your relationship
- Give the ultimatum prominence by making it an almost expected focal point of the negotiation
- Develop a specific rationale for why you are making it
- Deliver it in a manner that is clear, concise, and credible - it must have the look, sound, and feel of finality
- Once made, do not blink. To make any change will cause a major loss of credibility.
Get in touch today so we can hear your needs.
ENS International (ENSI) provides negotiation consulting and training services helping people and organizations think and act differently to achieve more.
Negotiators gain the edge using proven ENSI influencing processes incorporating commercial psychology with a deep understanding of human behaviour. ENSI delivers through Consulting Services and In-House or Open Course training.
With over 60 Practitioners working within 75 countries we have a depth of experience across a diverse range of sectors.